Cayetano says foreign aid with conditions will no longer be accepted

Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano confirmed the new policy of the government which is to decline foreign aid offers with conditions.


The Philippine government’s new policy of rejecting aid with conditions, such as interfering in the country’s domestic policy on the war on drugs, applies to all countries.

Cayetano announced the said new policy after the country has said that it rejected development assistance from the European Union which is knows as one of the international critics of President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on illegal drugs.

The DFA secretary assured the Filipino people that despite this rejection, our relationship with the EU will remain good even it there is a rough patch between the two.

“The ball is actually in the hands of the EU. It is for the EU to tell us that there are no strings attached (on the aid). That this is humanitarian help. Number two, that we will not interfere in your internal affairs, and number three, for us to hear some support from them in our law and order campaign,” he said.

Earlier on Friday, President Duterte said the idea came from Finance Secretary Sonny Dominguez to give a review to this adhering law.

“It was not my idea initially, it was the decision of Carlos Dominguez III, Finance Secretary…kasi kapag tumanggap ka, under that condition, magtatanong ‘yan sila ngayon, ‘yung human rights,” Duterte said.

A total amount of 325 million euros or around P18.05 billion in aid was awarded to the country to finance sustainable energy and job creation.

Source: Kicker Daily